|Bato, Catanduanes - PAGASA Most Advanced Doppler Radar Location|
Currently, PAGASA uses the US made coaxial magnetrons Doppler technology which are installed on Baguio, Baler Aurora, Subic, Hinatuan, Tagaytay and Mactan which cost P3 Million each and to be replaced every 3-5 years.
PAGASA most Advanced Meteorological Doppler Radar Features:
1. More accurate weather forecasting using Solid State Amplifier (SSPA).
2. Uses all Digital instrumentation. Provides Digital Video Processing and Automatic Sequential Observation for Wind speed and direction and accumulated rainfall.
3. S-Band system can transmit sound waves as far as 480 kilometers away to determine wind velocity, rainfall volume, speed, coverage and intensity
4. Low power consumption and can last up to 15 years.
5. The 8-storey fiber glass tower can withstand 450 Kph wind.
This P560 Million project was grant-in-aid program by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) and investing on this accurate weather forecasting will really save thousands of people and Billion of Pesos. The other 2 MDR will be installed in Aparri, Cagayan Valley and Guiuan, Eastern Samar until 2013.